Thursday, July 7, 2011

4th of July Weekend Recap

At times, G$ and I had a busy weekend - but at other times, it was low-key (read: napping and me watching bad TV).

The weekend started by me taking Friday off (sweet!). I just love making long weekends even longer - it's like a mini vacation then. I had high hopes of being super productive, but of course, as I'm sure you could have guessed, I didn't check off quite as much as I had hoped, but I'm sure that's because I set the bar high. I did plan the Sunday brunch menu and bought all the ingredients as well as picked out pictures for our photo wall (more on that later) and went to Rite Aid to get them printed. That's about where my productiveness ended, and those were on the Must Do Before the Parents Come to the Apartment List, so I'm not surprised they got done.

Saturday was filled with some relaxing, cleaning, and cooking. Having people, especially parents over, is a great motivator to:
1. Dust
2. Organize
3. Finish unpacking (which we made progress on, but did not fully unpack the office)

So thanks parental units! :)

As far as cooking went, I planned the brunch menu so that ever thing (or almost everything) could be prepped in advance. I made two casseroles - a French Toast Bake and an Egg and Hash Brown Casserole with Ham and Bacon - and a fruit salad. G$ was awesome and offered to take Kairo to the park to play while I baked, so he would be out of my hair. Aww, it's really the little things that put the biggest smile on my face! By the time I finished cooking and cleaning, it was past 8pm, so I couldn't finish my last project of finally hanging the picture wall. That would just have to wait until the morning.

Sunday morning arrived. Kairo let us sleep until 8AM! Something we weren't expecting, but were sooo grateful! I of course, am running around until almost the last minute with the day-of prep work for the French Toast Bake, hanging pictures, and getting ready. Again, G$ was great and took care of Kairo while I was running around like a mad woman! Brunch was great! It was great having both our parents over to see the new place. And since the majority of the work on the food was done the night before, it was a piece of cake to host. And the best part - now I have some fresh flowers around the house! :) Thanks to a combination of Harris Teeter (who had a surprisingly great selection of flowers, including hydrangeas!) and G$'s mom (who brought more hydrangeas that coincidentally matched my flower color scheme! so I combined them into one arrangement). See:



In addition to forcing encouraging us to clean/organize - thanks for being such great parents and role models for G$ and I. Awww.

Monday morning, we went out to Leesylvania State Park on the Potomac with my parents and their two dogs to try to encourage Kairo to go swimming. We had tried to get him in G$'s parents' pool, but he wasn't quite going for it, so we figured having the gradual entry into water that a beach offers may help him as well as the fact that he could watch the big dogs going in to fetch toys. Well, Kairo didn't swim, per se, but did voluntarily walk into the water. He didn't like it when he couldn't stand, but the fact that he wasn't scared of it was great! We figure we'll try again in a month or so, when he's just a little big bigger. Unfortunately, I didn't get any pictures of him in the water, but did take these of him digging in the sand:








Apologies for dropping the ball picture-wise for this post. I'll try to improve on that. Hope everyone else had a great 4th of July weekend!

<3
K$

No comments:

Post a Comment