Thursday, June 2, 2011

Memorial Day Weekend and Puppy Pick Up Day!


G$ and I had a great, relaxing Memorial Day weekend in the Outer Banks with my family.  Like here in DC, it was unseasonable hot down there as well – in the 90s and steamy humid.  The unfortunate part was that the water was ICE COLD so there was no escaping the hotness that was the beach.  My parents rented an ocean front house (thanks Mom and Dad!), so we enjoyed cocktails and hors d'oeuvres on the deck listening to the ocean every evening and then grilled a delicious meal.  It was a very low-key, relaxing weekend.  Oh, and did I mention, ice cream every night!?  :)  Sadly, the only pictures I took were at the Wright Brother’s Memorial, and I wont bore you with them.  Now onto the good stuff…

On Tuesday morning, we woke up at 5:20am to head 5 hours west in NC to Roxanne’s Vizslas to pick up our little guy Kairo!  
Our "Going Home" picture

Shortly after getting into the car to head to Virginia!

While picking him up, the breeder mentioned that he slept with her daughter the night before and only woke up once in the middle of the night to tinkle AND that he hadn’t had any accidents in the house yet.  We were ecstatic to hear that!  Naïve…but ecstatic!

Then we got in the car to take him to his new home in Virginia.  Kairo cried/whimpered for the first 30 minutes in the car, sad that we were taking him from the only place he’s ever known as home.  The 30 minutes of noisemaking tired him out, and then he snoozed in G$’s lap for the next hour and half.  We pulled off to a rest stop, which coincidentally had a nice gazebo and a grassy area and he was a very good boy and went potty.  Then it was my turn to hold him, so he snoozed in my lap for the rest of the trip.  At once point, he started whimpering and watching to get outside through the window, so we pulled over to a rest stop and he did his business, then it was back to snoozing the rest of the trip home.

Remember how I said above that we were naïve?  We had our first accident later that evening.  He just squatted in the middle of the living room.  Since then, I think he’s started to figure it out.  However, I did just get back from a two-trip outlining.  Once to tinkle after playtime, to come back up, to have him tinkle again when he got back upstairs.  I think he’s playing games and knows that when he tinkles he gets to go outside.  Not sure if he’s actually that smart.  

He has been pretty good at night.  G$ offered to sleep on the couch with him the past few nights so I could get a good night sleep since I started my new job this week.  Isn't he sweet!?  :)  So G$ and Kairo slept on the couch and it was really the cutest thing - Kairo slept on his head.   

And he really is the most adorable thing. 
Yes, that is a skull and cross bone collar.  G$'s doing, but it's actually grown on me.  Super cute to see this little non-threatening puppy with skull and crossbones on his collar.  I think we call that irony?! :)


G$ took off this whole week to stay home with Kairo.  For the most part he sleeps, plays, goes outside, repeats.  Sometime more trips outside.  More in a later post on potty training a puppy in an apartment.  Phew - it's a challenge.  

I'll try to get more action shots over the weekend.  

<3
K$

No comments:

Post a Comment